(please note that we do not offer individual modules as separate courses and they are only available as part of the 4 Month Hair & Makeup course)
One of our tutors, Daniel Philips once mentioned that he would wish for students on a Three Month course to spend half the course on blow-drying techniques. I said that the students would probably lynch me after a few weeks!
The point of the tale is the importance of hair in today’s makeup world.
The purpose of basic hair week is to understand the principles of hair and to accommodate yourself for work on set.
Observation is an important principle in all that you do, particularly hair. It is important to stay focused, watch and stay calm.
- Using cutting equipment
- Understanding differ hair types
- Blow drying
- Basic cutting
- Male grooming
- Hair styling
Basic hair was a really useful module. Before joining the course, I had no hair experience, now I am able to complete a basic hair cut! I am surprised at how quickly we all managed to pick it up and how confident we are with it.
Module Syllabus: Basic Hair
- Introduction to hairdressing.
- Hair kit and equipment (care and handling).
- Hair theory (hair texture, growth patterns, head shapes, face shapes, lifestyle and suitability, changes in the hair structure when drying).
- Different techniques and shapes
- Terminology and head sheets.
- Demonstration of a one length cut.
- Attempt and complete a one length cut.
- Using Carmen rollers, tongs or straighteners to style hair.
- Demonstration of a long layered hair cut
- Attempt and complete a long layered hair cut.
- Blow drying hair using a round brush, cooling hair down and the use of Velcro rollers.
- Research bob hairstyles for Wednesday.
- Demonstration of a long bob incorporating a fringe
- Attempt and complete a long bob and a fringe
- Create a finished look from research
- Men’s grooming with and without electrical equipment
- Men’s haircut and suitability
- Demonstration of a men’s haircuts
- Client session
- Various demonstrations of cuts and techniques
- Workshop practicing different cuts and styling techniques
Note: the above syllabus is illustrative of a typical module. It may be subject to change at any time.
Basic Hair Course Photos